Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Taste of Italy. G'Vanni's, Boston (North End), MA.

It's starting to get colder again here in Boston so I decided it was time to put my gift certificate to G'Vanni's to good use.

I took the train in from Northeastern and walked through Government Center towards the North End.  There were tour groups enjoying the day and the sellers at Haymarket were setting up for tomorrow's crowds.  As soon as I crossed the new Fitzgerald Greenway it felt like the mood changed.  There were old men sitting outside restaurants, even on this chilly day, families enjoying a late lunch and the typical construction crews blocking off half of Hanover Street.  I walked past Mike's Pastry and realized that this is probably the only time that there aren't crowds all the way out to the street trying to get some fresh canoli's.  Maybe I'd have room for one after my lunch...

I took a turn onto Prince Street and saw the maroon awning.  The hostess seated me near the window so I could watch the crowds, there were two couples and me and the dining room was dimly lit to give that romantic feel.  I was going to get some wine but realized that if the food wasn't going to put me to sleep during class, the wine surely would.


I ordered a chicken parmigiana panini and some Caesar salad.  The waitress was nice enough to let me know that she can't give cash back form the gift certificate so I should just order extra food and take it with me, I settled on the Pizza Margarita.  As I sat and enjoyed my meal and older man walked in and sat down at the front table.  None of the waitresses bothered him and I found myself wondering what his name and story might be when the hostess walked by and said "Hey Tony, what's up?"  The man didn't answer her or the other two girls in the restaurant but I knew that nobody took any offense.


I finished my meal that came to roughly $21 dollars and walked out with a pizza in my hand.  As I walked back towards America I was glad that I got to spend at least a part of my afternoon in "Italy."  Unfortunately there was no room for canoli's this time.

So...let's review...
1. If you are looking for some fresh produce you should stop by Haymarket, which is right next to the Haymarket subway station, on Friday or Saturday between 9 and 5pm.  Towards the end of the day the farmers drop their prices.
2. Mike's Pastry is a must if you are in the North End!
3. G'Vanni's is an affordable and very quaint little restaurant off Prince street in the North End.  Sit back, relax, enjoy some Italian food and maybe you'll get to meet Tony as well.


Until the next review!

2 comments:

  1. I really like your reviews and I do believe , one day people will post more comments.
    Tev tik tiesham labi iznaak.

    ReplyDelete